I am done with my first year of college!!!! Yay! It went by so quickly, and I can’t believe that it’s over.
So I’m going to share with you my first year of college recap!
My living situation: This was a love/hate thing. I lived in a four person suite, and I had my own room which I loved. Also, my friend from high school was one of my suite mates so that was great. The only problem was that my other two suite mates were very rude and inconsiderate. I don’t want to go into specifics but they would leave our bathroom messy and blast music at 7:30 am, among other things. It’s funny because the first month that we were here, they were very nice and considerate, but something changed. I’m just glad that experience is over. On other note, I had my own room which I was able to decorate and organize the way I wanted.
My classes: I had a pretty decent workload both semesters. For those of you who don’t know, I will be majoring in Strategic Communications with an interest in Account Management (in Advertising). I took mostly general education classes, with a few classes pertaining to my major. Out of all the classes I took this semester, my favorite would have to be Intro to Black Studies. I loved this class because I learned so much about African and African American history, and the class discussions were always interesting. I loved hearing about everyone’s backgrounds and experiences.
My social life: A few of my friends from high school came to the same college as me, so it was nice having some people that I already knew down here with me. I joined my campus’ chapter of NABJ, and I gained a few mentors from that experience, who have helped me my freshman year. Also, my school has a lot of on campus events that I attended with my friends that I got to meet a lot of new people.
The bad part about ending my first year is having to pack up. As I write this, I am in the middle of packing up all my belongings. However, my situation is different from some because my family is not coming to pick me up and bring my stuff back home. Instead, I am catching a flight home and putting most of my stuff in storage over the summer. Essentially, I have to pack everything I will need for the summer into 2 suitcases and 2 carry on bags (wish me luck!).
Here are a few tips that I have to make things go more efficiently:
- start packing the things that you use the least, first (winter clothes, book, etc)
- look at the weather for the week that you leave and keep the clothes that you will wear in that weather out, and pack up the rest (if it will be hot, pack up your pants and leave out your shorts, and vice versa)
- use space wisely: stuff shoes with socks, and if you are bringing something big like a fridge, put stuff in there too and tape the door shut. Also, if you are putting shoes in a box, and there is a little extra room, put small things like desk supplies in the box as well
- label your boxes with everything that is in there, so when you are unpacking in a few months, you just have to read the labels to find something
- pack your toiletries last, something may come up on moving day that will require you to shower, brush your teeth, or do your hair again.
Are you in college? How was your year? And do you have any moving tips? Share them in the comments section!